It is time to move and you are considering 2 big cities – Chicago vs New York. The distance between these two cities is about 800 miles, which is not little. Both cities have a lot to offer, and both cities have the pros and cons of living there. Which city you will choose depends on your lifestyle and your priorities. Why Chicago is better than NYC and why NYC is better than Chicago? They are both big cities in the USA, but they are so different.
How to choose between Chicago vs New York?
First of all, you need to make a list of your priorities in life. Do you plan to start a family and you want good schools, or you want to retire, etc. What about your career? What is your monthly budget for rent and other costs? Where will you find a job easier – in New York City or Chicago? It depends on your profession. If you want to move a business, you should research the market in both cities and the competition too.
Pros and cons of living in Chicago
Why you should live in Chicago? What are the pros and on the other hand, what are the cons of living there? Every city in the world has two sides – good and bad. Before you pack for your Chicago move research this megalopolis in Ilinois.
- The transportation system is great. Getting around the city is easy, fast, and affordable.
- Sport is a big deal here and it is a big part of the culture. Chicago has 15 sports teams and this city was the Best Sports City in the USA 3 times.
- Chicago has a rich history and it has traditional and modern architecture too.
- If you love to east and to try new dishes, Chicago has delicious food, not to mention the famous deep-dish pizza and hot dogs.
- Chicago is in the top 10 cities when it comes to trade and economy.
- You won’t miss parks because Chicago has a lot of them (about 500 parks). During the fall, the city will leave you speechless, but other seasons are beautiful too.
- It has a couple of airports because people travel a lot here. After all, it is one of the financial hubs.
- The crime rate decreased over the past years, but it is still higher than the national average.
- The costs of living are high (but the good thing is that they are not higher than the costs of living in NYC, so when choosing between Chicago vs New York, Chicago wins when it comes to affordability).
- It has heavy traffic, so you will need to be patient.
- Winter is cold and long, not to mention winds, after all the nickname for Chicago is The Windy City.
Pros and cons of living in NYC
NYC is one of the most popular cities in the world, it is a city that never sleeps. And yes, it has advantages and disadvantages too. Here are some of them.
- A lot of job opportunities and many businesses are located here.
- Average salaries are higher than the national average.
- The subway system is great. Also, you have ferries, a public bike-sharing program, buses, etc.
- It has a lot of galleries, restaurants, cafes, bars, nightclubs, you won’t be bored, never.
- Central Park is a perfect place to relax, walk, ride a bike, etc.
- The competition is strong, so you need to work hard and to have a little bit of luck to succeed.
- The costs of living in NYC are very high, it is one of the most expensive cities in the USA.
- Most apartments are small, so you probably won’t have enough space for all your items.
- Traffic jams are often and they are crazy. Sometimes it is better to walk than to call a taxi.
- It is always loud and crowded. It has 8 million people plus millions and millions of tourists.
Hiring a company for your NYC move
The easiest and safest way to move to NYC or from NYC to Chicago, it to hire a professional moving company that is reliable and experienced. Long-distance relocations are not simple, and they can be very stressful and exhausting.
Do research in order to get the best company and the best price for a relocation. Get recommendations from your friends and relatives, search online, read online moving reviews, get in-home moving estimates, check the company’s license and insurance, etc. One of the companies that can move you with ease and make your NYC move a piece of cake is Capital City Movers NYC.
Be prepared for every situation because moving to a megalopolis takes time, money, and energy. Especially when it is a long-distance relocation.
If you currently live in NYC and what to change your home location, Chicago is definitely a place to consider. Yes, moving from New York to Chicago will be a big change for you and your family, but it may be a perfect solution.
The “battle” between Chicago vs New York is serious because both cities are amazing and have a lot to offer to its residents. Think twice and make a list of the pros and cons of moving to both cities. Move to a city that has more pluses than minuses and talk to your family too. Maybe they have advice for you, especially talk to people that live in NYC or Chicago. NYC has more people, but it is more expensive, the weather is similar, the job market depends on your profession and in what industry you want to work in. There are many differences, but also a lot of similarities. Good luck with starting your new life in a new city!